Friday, May 8, 2020

8th May 2020 - Matty Groves and the Famous Folky's Wife

"Bank holiday,bank holiday, in the merry month of May, when Matty Groves went to the pub...."

Thus starts Phil Harley's take on of one of the best known tales in folk-music. You'll know it, no doubt, from Fairport's definitive version on their ground-breaking "Liege & Lief" - but have you heard Planxty's version? - I know which one I prefer.

Originally parodied in fine style by the Kipper Family - who can forget the immortal lines "How do you like my feather bed and how do you like my sheets? How do you like my curtains that I got in the sale last week?" - Fatty Groves set a high standard in folk-fun.


So how will Phil's version compare? There's only one way to find out - here's the video and the lyrics: Matty Groves and the Famous Folky's Wife