Friday, May 1, 2020

1st May 2020 - The Bee Gees


Robin Gibb, member of the Bee Gees, dies after battle with cancer ...

I said right from setting up this group that I love May songs and one of the first I remember hearing was a pop song from the Bee Gees.

The Bee Gees had a string of great singles in the late 1960's and early 1970's, including To Love Somebody, Massachusetts, Words, I Started A Joke, and I Gotta Get A Message To You. Their first single in the UK was New York Mining Disaster 1941, which, to my ears, was modern-day folk-song.

Known for their very melodic songs and super-tight harmonies, the Bee Gees were often accompanied with lush string arrangements. One of their last successful singles of this period caused a split in the group. Robin Gibb was expecting Limelight to be the A-side but it was flipped and First Of May, sung by Barry, headlined.

The First Of May was the birthday of Barry's dog, Barnaby.

Robin had a hit with Saved By The Bell and a successful album, but rejoined the Bee Gees after a year outside the group.

Here are two youtube videos of First Of May - the first with photos of the Bee Gees through the years; the second a remastered Top Of The Pops appearence.

"When I was small and Christmas trees were tall".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s88TOcjU_z4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqB2UXmMZHs