Wednesday, May 6, 2020

6th May 2020 - May Song North Bedfordshire



I still have some of the loose-leaf pages and exercise books from school in about 1972 when we must have had a song-collecting bug. From Cat Stevens, Simon and Garfunkel, James Taylor, Lindisfarne through to traditional ballads and nursery rhymes - they all found their way into our books.

There's one particular batch of songs that I always liked but have rarely heard. They include Green Bushes, Fanny Blair and three May songs. I think we copied them from Garners Gay which we may have borrowed from Jarrow Library.



I always wanted to rock these songs up, so here is my attempt at the May Song from North Bedfordshire. Sorry traditionalists!



A branch of may it does look gay
As before your door it stands.
It is but a sprout but it's well spread about
By the work of our poor hands.

I have a bag upon my arm
It is drawn with a silken string.
It only wants a few more pence
To line it well within.

Arise, arise, my pretty fair maids
And take our may buds in.
For if it is gone before morning comes
You'll say we never have been.

Come give us a cup of your sweet cream
Or a jug of your brown beer.
And if we live to tarry the town
We'll call again next year.