Monday, May 25, 2020

25th May 2020 - Lockdown Birds in May



Here's a new song from my good friend, Phil Howie - hot off the press, as they used to say, to make the CMLE Play schedule. It was certainly worth the anticipation!

Let's hear what Phil has to say about "Lockdown Birds in May":

"Inspired from our daily walks during Covid-19 lockdown on Alston Moor. Started by trying to record one of my favourite bird sounds, that of the Curlew, using my mobile phone (and heard at the beginning of my song). We also noted all the many birds that could be seen and now easily heard in our garden, such as the blackbird, and in our immediate surroundings.

The peace was lovely, and often the sky was so clear and blue. However, when lockdown was eased we started to lose the tranquility with human noise competing with the birds. It started to make you wonder what you really preferred!"


Lockdown Birds in May

‘Twas in the month of May
I heard the Curlews say
Hear my song, it’s your song
And the freedom that you long

The lapwing cries a warning
“Away from my nest”
Soaring above in the wind
Longing for its young to rest

The gull arrives high above
But the peewit sees him off
The cry echoes on the moor afar
And peace returns once more

Our blackbird arrives each day
Perches on rails out back
A nest in the tree in May
A short flight from the deck.

‘Twas in the month of May
I heard the Curlews say
Hear my song, it’s your song
And the freedom that you long

Lockdown is easing
Human noise drifting back
Peace and birdsong not so clear
Normality becoming ever so near

The robin, the wren, pied wagtail, bluetit, great tit, chaffinch,pigeon, yellowhammer, pheasant, the lapwing, the blackbird, the curlew

‘Twas in the month of May
I heard the Curlews say
Hear my song, it’s your song
And the freedom that you long