Sunday, May 24, 2020

24th May 2020 - Jockey To The Fair


Isolation has brought out some wonderful songs and videos. One of these which made me smile and brought much joy was of Chris Leslie dancing around his garden in morris bells playing the fiddle. You might have to sign in to Facebook to see this - so apologies if you are unable to get to it.

https://www.facebook.com/203130380023789/videos/2562220777370465/

Of course, you will all know Chris from his contribution to Fairport Convention over many a year. I first saw him - and got his and Swarb's autograph on an LP - as part of Whippersnapper, a short-lived but excellent act. They were playing at the Labour Club in Tony Blair's constituency village, if I remember correctly.

I met up with him again - that's Chris, not Tony Blair - at a Durham Folkworks weekend, where he taught us some slightly obscure but exciting new tunes on fiddle. I still play a couple of these - but on mandolin as my fiddle playing has declined somewhat. Chris is an inspiring, approachable and patient teacher - and he's not bad on the fiddle and mandolin either.

Thanks for sharing your jig with us Chris!